Why Drink Coconut Water? It’s An Energizing Power Beverage, and Much More
You probably already know a lot about the uses and benefits of coconut oil, but what about coconut water?
Coconut Water Benefits You Need to Know
In this article:
- What is Coconut Water?
- It Was Once Used as Blood Plasma
- Why Drink Coconut Water?
- What Are the Benefits of Coconut Water?
- Where to Source Your Coconut Water
- Hot Pink Breakfast Smoothie
What is Coconut Water?
Coconut "water" is the sweet, translucent liquid inside young green coconuts. It takes 9 months to draw the water up from the earth through the trunk, into the coconut and develop.
It Was Once Used as Blood Plasma
Interestingly, coconut water has the same osmotic pressure as that of blood plasma and has even been safely administered as an intravenous fluid. In fact, it was used during WWII in emergency transfusions to replace blood plasma and save the lives of many wounded soldiers in the Pacific.
Why Drink Coconut Water?
It's an amazing alternative to water! Low in calories, with zero fat, and lots of naturally occurring nutrients, including potassium, magnesium and calcium, fiber, proteins, antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
What Are the Benefits of Coconut Water?
- It's a power food, giving me fantastic energy. And it has the benefit of tasting lovely.
- It's a natural sports drink that stands apart from the blue-dye, chemical-sweetener-added competition. Incredibly hydrating, it is isotonic and contains an excellent balance of electrolytes.
- One of its most abundant electrolytes is potassium, which makes coconut water a great kidney cleanser. It also helps the body fight water retention, muscle cramps, and heart irregularities.
- An extensive study on coconut water also found compounds that fight aging, mop up free radicals, and potentially ward off neural diseases like Alzheimer's and dementia.
Where to Source Your Coconut Water
The best source of coconut water is from young coconuts themselves. Since that's not the most convenient source, look for packaged commercial sources that are organic and not from concentrate, with no additives.
Hot Pink Breakfast Smoothie
Coconut water is a perfect choice for an energetic breakfast, which is why it's the foundation liquid in my Hot Pink Breakfast Smoothie every morning and one of the reasons why that recipe is the most-requested recipe of all time at GSG!
Have you tried drinking coconut water? What does coconut water do for you? Share your experience with us in the comments section below!
Read Next: How To Make Coconut Milk Ice Cream
Robyn Openshaw, MSW, is the bestselling author of The Green Smoothies Diet, 12 Steps to Whole Foods, and 2017’s #1 Amazon Bestseller and USA Today Bestseller, Vibe. Learn more about how to make the journey painless, from the nutrient-scarce Standard American Diet, to a whole-foods diet, in her free video masterclass 12 Steps to Whole Foods.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links that help support the GSG mission without costing you extra. I recommend only companies and products that I use myself.