How To Detox From Heavy Metals Naturally: 3 Actions You Can Take
Heavy metals occur naturally on the planet, and some like iron, zinc, and even silver and copper are vital for life in trace amounts. While any metal has the potential for toxicity in excess, the term “heavy metal” usually refers to those that have no known human benefit, like lead, mercury, cadmium, and arsenic.
Heavy metals accumulate in the body over time. They hide out deep in our tissues and organs — and can be highly toxic, contributing to many chronic health problems.
But, the good news is, it’s possible to remove these contaminants from your body, so they don’t negatively impact your health.
Here's Why You Should Do a Heavy Metal Detox
In this article:
What Are Heavy Metals?
You may be exposed to heavy metals and not even know it. They can be contaminants in food, drugs, and supplements, or leached into groundwater. Occupational hazards from raw materials, equipment, processing, and fumes are also very common.
Some typical exposure risks include:
- Lead from old pipes, paint, or even leaded gasoline still in topsoil (with children particularly at risk because even brief exposure can affect brain development)
- Mercury from dental fillings and industrial applications
- Cadmium from tobacco smoke or food grown in cadmium-rich soil
- Arsenic from treated lumber, coal-fired power plants, and runoff into groundwater
Why Are Heavy Metals Dangerous?
Heavy metals bond to and accumulate in organs and tissues, causing all kinds of physical, mental, and neurological damage.
Many “mystery illnesses,” like muscle weakness, brain fog, fatigue, nausea, headaches, and even constipation, can be traced to heavy metal exposure and accumulation.
The higher the concentration, the worse the problems. Here are some of the consequences you can get from too much exposure to heavy metals:
- Hair loss
- Learning disabilities
- Immune disorders
How To Detox Heavy Metals from Your Body
If you live in the U.S. or in any other industrialized country, you almost certainly have some level of ongoing heavy metal contamination.
Here are 3 steps you can take:
- Avoid additional heavy metal exposure when at all possible by doing the following:
- Eat organic produce.
- Rice is one of the most arsenic-contaminated crops—limit your consumption and check if your organic source is tested for heavy metals.
- Limit your consumption of fish, which is often contaminated with mercury.
- Heavy metals build up in animal fat—make sure your meat is from clean sources and eat sparingly.
- Install water filters on your home water system.
- Switch to a biological dentist who uses non-toxic procedures and can safely remove metal fillings.
- If your home was built before 1952, have pipes and paint checked for lead.
- Wear protective masks and clothing if you work in industries using heavy metals.
I have an amazing resource of quick-reference guides and wallet cards you can print and carry with you, and one of the wallet cards lists common neurotoxins, like heavy metals, and which products, procedures, and foods to avoid or limit contact with them. Check out the Genius Guides here!
- Try a fulvic and humic mineral supplement that may naturally help remove heavy metal toxins.
Fulvic and humic acids contain minerals that come from ancient plant deposits, so they are natural.
Fulvic acid has dozens of beneficial uses for the human body. It:
- Transports nutrients
- Is a super-antioxidant
- Increases alkalinity
- Modulates hormones
- Regulates neurologic function
- Acts as an electrolyte
- Boosts immunity
- Is the best source of bioavailable organic trace minerals
Fulvic acid is also nature’s most powerful natural heavy metal detoxifier.
It has a unique molecular structure that can bind to heavy metals, making them inert. Research shows that even low concentrations of fulvic and humic acids are powerful enough to help clear heavy metals like copper and lead from polluted water and soil.
I wanted both fulvic and humic acid in a concentrated formula, but couldn’t find one that could meet my standards—I finally had to make my own!
3. Protect yourself from toxins with a Zeolite product that works.
Zeolite clinoptilolite, a natural mineral created through a reaction of volcanic ash and seawater, has been widely studied, and the health benefits are impressive. These are only some of them:
- Strengthening the immune system. Removing toxins makes it easier for your body to protect and take care of you. Too many toxins can overwhelm your body, paving the way for disease and other health challenges.
- Protecting against viruses. Zeolite is able to absorb viral particles and prevent them from replicating. Research suggests that zeolite may be effective against a whole host of viruses.
- Getting rid of heavy metals. In a 2012 study, zeolite was found to successfully flush heavy metals from the body, including toxic lead.
- Detoxifying mold. Zeolite is used as a detoxifier of mold toxins, called mycotoxins.
- Maintaining a healthy pH. Zeolite gives you alkalizing minerals, which support healthy pH levels in your body.
- Protecting your kidney. Heavy metals can cause damage to the kidneys. So getting rid of them can strengthen your kidney function.
- Protecting against leaky gut. In a 2015 study, zeolite was found to strengthen the intestinal wall.
Read more about my favorite zeolite product here.
If you want to detox heavy metals from your body, I recommend taking Ultimate Minerals daily, taking my favorite Zeolite daily, or at least once a week every month, and doing my comprehensive detox program twice per year. It systematically detoxes all your organs for a complete cleanse. Learn more about my GreenSmoothieGirl Detox.
Robyn Openshaw, MSW, is the bestselling author of The Green Smoothies Diet, 12 Steps to Whole Foods, and 2017’s #1 Amazon Bestseller and USA Today Bestseller, Vibe. Learn more about how to make the journey painless, from the nutrient-scarce Standard American Diet, to a whole-foods diet, in her free video masterclass 12 Steps to Whole Foods.
Editor's Note: This article was originally published on April 4, 2017, and has been updated for accuracy and relevancy.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links that help support the GSG mission without costing you extra. I recommend only companies and products that I use myself.