Dressing Your Truth

Robyn Openshaw - Sep 20, 2010 - This Post May Contain Affiliate Links

Local author Carol Tuttle contacted me several months ago. She’s author of four books, including “Discover Your Personal Beauty Profile” and “Remembering Wholeness.”

She asked me to meet her for lunch. She said she knew exactly what I am in her typing system to help you choose clothes, hair, and makeup to “dress your truth.”

I direct you to this because I believe this program allows you to live more truthfully, more grounded in your energy, personality, and unique way of operating in the world. It’s about far more than shopping-and-makeup (which are NOT generally interests of mine, and I explain why in my interview).

I let Carol’s team do a makeover on me! Check my interview out where I don’t quite seem myself:

Check out Carol’s program and sign up HERE

Not only did I arrive dressed completely as a Type 2 (I’m Type 3), but you won’t know me, I was so nervous! (Losing all control and letting a team of people cut and color my hair, put makeup on me, and dress me–in a word, SCARY!) In the initial interview–not only am I jittery, but I didn’t sleep well in anticipation, so I have bags under my eyes!

And here’s my makeover:

Check out Carol’s program and sign up HERE–I think you’ll enjoy it! In fact, you might get LOST in the web site, watching the transformation of many women “discovering their truth.”

Also, I’ll be on her radio show tonight, Sept. 20, at 7 p.m., talking about wholeness in nutrition and health–and wholeness in Carol’s world of truth, beauty, and fashion!

Log in HERE to either listen live (call in to ask me a question, and I’ll give away a few of my books)–or listen to a recording if you’ve missed it by the time you read this.

Posted in: Mind/Body Connection, Videos

41 thoughts on “Dressing Your Truth”

1. Anonymous says:

Wow this is exactly what i needed thank you for this post!

Lorrie

2. Anonymous says:

I have to say that your picture is beautiful on this website. I don’t think you were doing it totally wrong after all. Your hair looks pretty straight and curly! Thanks for living your truth and sharing the green smoothie girl!

Janette

3. Anonymous says:

Hi Robyn.
    Just like a previous comment, I am a long time smoothie lover and a first time commenter.
    Lets get back to basics here… attraction is for some one else, and or self esteem. Basic hygiene, and dressing smartly are synonymous with ones true inner happiness.
    First thing in the morning, just out of bed, P J`s, messed hair, but a smile on your face and humming a favorite tune, is truly beauty!
    Poor diet and stress are the only factors that wear us out… so eating well, helps us to get a good nights sleep, and a good nights rest helps us to feel great in the morning.
    As far as the new hair dew, you look great either way. Your preference is what is important, but nice to be able to change it up now and then.

Thought you might like a comment from the other gender… : )

4. Anonymous says:

Ohhh you are brave! I’m kinda embarrassed reading everyone’s critiques. I know you are a tough cookie, though, so you can take it. My opinion: you look SO young and cool both ways! If you learned something that’s new and fun to you–great! Otherwise, the bottom line is you look awesome both ways!

1. Robyn Openshaw says:

Stacy, I figure I put this out there–I can take it! (I could always NOT approve comments if I were really thin-skinned.)

5. Anonymous says:

Robin

I LOVE the Curls!! I am a hairdresser and it kills me when people straighten out thier amazing curls. You will be amazed at how much healthier your hair will be from wearing it curly. The lowlights are a nice adition too, it makes the blonde pieces look blonder. I hope you are enjoying your new hairstyle!

6. Anonymous says:

Wow! That make-over just makes you glow! Love the low-lights and I like your hair both ways – I wish I had curly hair. Sigh.

7. Anonymous says:

Robyn – you said you wear mascara and lip gloss and thought you should check out this company http://www.100percentpure.com/Default.asp all the makeup is made from organic fruit pigments with no preservatives or chemicals

1. Robyn Openshaw says:

Thank you Anonymous, will check that out!

8. Anonymous says:

Sorry, but I was turned off by how the two ladies looked that were going to redo you. They looked dated to me. Before you looked more natural–it seemed your health was dominant. Now your hair and dress are dominant. I prefer the before.

9. Anonymous says:

Robyn,

You look GREAT, FULL OF LIFE, HEALTHY, YOUTHFUL……I want to look like you! What do your kids have to say about your new look?

1. Robyn Openshaw says:

My kids don’t notice! 🙂

10. Anonymous says:

ROBYN,

YOU ALREADY LOOKED GRRREAT ALLLL THE TIME!

YOU ALREADY LOOKED YOURSELF, I DONT CARE WHAT SHE SAYS.

AND YOU WERE ALREADY POWERFUL IN YOU FORMER HAIR, MAKEUP, AND OUTFITS, SINCE TRUE POWER IS WITHIN, AND DOESNT HAVE that MUCH TO DO WITH OUR LOOKS.

AND, YOU WERE ALREADY A HOTTIE.

OBVIOUSLY, I DONT BUY INTO THEIR INITIAL CRITIQUE OF YOU.

FRANKLY, YOU LOOK BETTER (AND MORE POWERFUL AND HOTTER) THAN BOTH OF THEM, BOTH BEFORE AND AFTER YOUR MAKEOVER.

I ENCOURAGE YOUR SELF ESTEEM AND SAY BRAVO YOU.

YOU ARE NOTTTTT more POWERFUL IN THIS NEW LOOK. YOURE STILL POWERFUL YOU.

THE NEW NATURAL CURLS AND WAVES LOOK FABULOUS ON YOU TOO. SO DOES THE NEW ‘NATURAL’ MAKEUP. DITTO THE OUTFIT. DUE TO THE ACCESSORIES, IT ISNT SO ‘NATURAL’, THERE’S MORE BLING, AND WE LADIES SOMETIMES LIKE A BIT MORE.

SO STAY TRUE TO YOU, DO WHAT YOU LIKE, AND KNOW THAT YOU DO NOT REQUIRE ALL THOSE EXTRAS TO BE THE POWERFUL AND GORGEOUS AND HOT YOU THAT YOU ALREADY ARE.

11. Anonymous says:

Hi Robyn, it seems half the people like the new look & the other half don’t. I’m with the other half. Your original look is that of sophistication, grace & beauty. This “new” look doesn’t do you justice at all. It’s so dated & cumbersome. However, the bottom line is if you’re comfortable with your makeover, that’s the only opinion that counts. I admire your courage.

1. Robyn Openshaw says:

Hey Sue, yeah it’s been interesting! I have kept most of my ORIGINAL look (including straight hair–or if I do it curlier, it’s different than the stylist did it in the makeover) but have shopped for clothes in the colors / textures Carol recommends, because I really agree with that part.

12. Anonymous says:

I would have to agree that you look great, Robin, any which way. I do like the more natural coloring, though, and a little layering, I think, can give you a softer, more natural look. That said, maybe a little less product so it doesn’t look so ‘done’. You look great in the chunky jewelry and wide belt! So, now have we all confused you further? No, because you’re going to live your truth, right? : ) Thanks, Robin for all the positive encouragement you give us to change our lives.

13. Anonymous says:

Robyn you are doing a wonderful service promoting a healthy lifestyle and I think you are a lovely person. Your hair is gorgeous curly! The jewelry looks fabulous and accessories are just that….fun sometimes, but I doubt you will be wearing bracelets,necklaces and belts and earrings while tending to your family and home. You deserve to play a little! I encourage you to look any way you want. You are truly gorgeous either way! Two looks, straight hair for everyday and curly for special occasion or other way around. I totally respect you for no foundation! There are a few cosmetics that are eco/animal friendly. Women should always want to look good. Good for you!

14. Anonymous says:

Hi Robyn,

I was wondering, how did YOU feel after having had the makeover? Did you feel like you were “living your truth” wearing type 3 clothes, etc.?

Patrizia

1. Robyn Openshaw says:

Patrizia,

The colors, angles, “warm” metals–very much so. This made a lot of sense to me. The actual clothes they dressed me in, that shows in the vids/photos? Not really, no. We were in a big hurry and they have a limited amount of clothing etc. to choose from. I like a much more fitted shirt than the raspberry-colored one I am wearing, and I don’t love the jeans. I went with their suggestions about lots MORE jewelry, and it being really big/dynamic/angles. Not sure that’s “me.”

But conceptually I agree with them very much, even if the details were rushed (or limited in choice).

One thing I don’t see myself giving up is wearing BLACK and WHITE. Maybe when I’m 55+ I’ll give that up, but I adore those colors.

15. Anonymous says:

What about putting color on the hair? I was told that it was danagerous to my health

1. Robyn Openshaw says:

Linda, yes–however I’ve read that dyeing is the culprit behind the studies of cancer rates in women who color their hair–not a “weave” that doesn’t go to the roots.

16. Anonymous says:

You did look good before (because as we all know, true beauty is inside first). That’s why the kids don’t notice. They love the inside.

I LOVED the makeover! Loved that color of shirt on you (wasn’t dusty rose — but raspberry) and the hair color and curls look great! Hope you will wear them sometimes…. might take you a while to get used to it, but since you have them naturally…. it is you being more of you. (Wish I had some curl.)

17. Anonymous says:

I think if you were wearing curly it would help to pull it up or away from your face a bit…didn’t care for straight bangs….

enjoyed the color on you…looks much nicer than the washed out look….

as one changes and ages their looks change right along with their growth from the inside out….

thanks for sharing and taking what works for you personally not what someone tells you to do..

always nice to hear from professionals in the field of finding your look and color..

agree with the makeup toxins..be careful what you put on the skin as you know it gets delivered to the inside too…there are many lines of organic type products out there for those that have the time or feel the need to use cosmetics …

hugs & health,

Patryce

18. Anonymous says:

Meh. I think your instincts for what is right and best for you are probably better than anyone else’s I’ve ever come across. You’re, like, the GURU of ‘Trust yourself.’ I didn’t think the gal who did the whole look, looked so hot herself. You looked fine either way. To me it feels like she has invented a way for people to 1. Become dissatisfied with themselves and 2. Spend money to get ‘resatisfied’. I’ll save my money for organic romaine.

19. Anonymous says:

Robyn, I absolutely love you but I have to say that I loved you so much more the way you came in than they way she made you over. Really. I thought the colors of the clothes you were suited you more and you looked a LOT younger in my opinion prior to the makeover. You are beautiful regardless but I like your version of “made up” better than hers.

20. Anonymous says:

Robyn, now that they’ve given you a little different hair style and made some new suggestions, why don’t you give us an update on your interpretation. I usually don’t care for the way others style my hair or apply make up. Its like all new information, run it though your personal filter and apply it the way it feel right to you : )

So, if you feel comfortable, show us the New You! I think all of us would enjoy that and so should you!!!

1. Robyn Openshaw says:

Hi Camille–you can see all the vids I’m posting, including yesterday’s, are POST “MAKEOVER.” 🙂 Of course, I do wear some clothes I already had (that don’t fit my “type” like in yesterday’s vid).

21. Anonymous says:

Robyn,

Probably shouldn’t muddy the waters with my muddy thoughts, but I will. I will say that PERSONALLY I think the redone hair and makeup looks amazing on you and takes years off your already youthful appearance. The style of clothing wasn’t too far off (tshirt and jeans) from what you came in with but the color changes near your face were fabulous. That seems easy enough to me… give me color changes but not major style changes and I’m happy.

What matters most (and I know you know this) is how you feel in the style they gave you and THAT is what constitutes being true to yourself. Sure, I can look amazing all dressed up and made up in whatever style someone else sees as “best” for me, but if I feel like I’ve just been playing in someone else’s closet and makeup drawer then what’s the point? All makeovers take a period of adjustment as the initial shock wears off and you pick and choose what feels right to keep up with.

I’m never going to be someone who feels comfortable with big chunky jewelry as I’m very active (as you are) and it just feels vain to me to purchase and display such items. That’s OK, but there’s also nothing wrong with those who feel wearing those items helps them look their personal best. We are all individuals (praise God!) and our differences are what makes life so interesting. Kudos to you for being willing to play a little bit and even share it here where criticism can be a little too free-flowing!

1. Robyn Openshaw says:

Jen, Amber, Mary . . . love your abundance- and live-and-let-live mentality!

It’s been . . . INTERESTING . . . to read all the comments and I think I’ll stay out of the “fashion and beauty” arena from here on out, although that was . . . an adventure. LOL!

22. Anonymous says:

“VARIETY is the spice of life.” Good for you doing your hair both ways. I have the same “good problem” with curly hair. You look great before and after.

23. Anonymous says:

Hi Robyn,

I thought that the plum top and the orange skirt were particularly flattering, but color is such a personal thing. It is a way of healing yourself and it seems healthiest to go with the colors that you are drawn to and that feel good next to you each day. (The sky blue that you wear is a pure, uplifting energy.)

It’s fun to see your naturally curly hair but I think there is a more flattering cut out there to show it off if you choose to.

Your hair looks nice smooth and flowing too.

You know there was a scene of you with your hair twisted back and up (while you were looking at jewelry). It was a beautiful, elegant look, but also natural and Greek goddesslike.

I suppose Ms. Tuttle wants to help people free themselves to express themselves more fully and that sure sounds like worthwhile work as long as the experimentation really resonates with each individual.

Too bad the session was rushed.

Well you have proven that you have just as open a mind as you encourage others to have in trying green smoothies 🙂

24. Anonymous says:

Hi Robyn,

OK, I guess I am really dated! I do love the curly hair, but I agree, the style it was worn was off. I personally do not care for colored hair–I like the natural look. I’ve decided that my grey that is slowly coming will be my highlights!

The mauve top was beautiful on you–and I love the fit!! No offense, it really bothers me the way the younger generation of women seem to have the need to have their clothing skin tight. For years women have been complaining that they are being sexually harrassed and stereo typed, yet they wear clothing that just cries out for that kind of treatment. Yes, I am 55+, so I guess it is a generational thing, but I also think that as church members (which I am also), we need to set a new style that does not draw so much attention to the body shape, but more to the beauty of the soul.

The work you are doing for our health is wonderful! And I know that it took courage to try something different. I applaud you for that!

25. Anonymous says:

Wow Robyn the change looks great. It definatly made you look younger and more alive I didn’t notice any bags under your eyes in fact they looked better. I may be older and don’t care for the jeans with the wornout look(I consider them ready for the trash) but every thing else looked good. And I love your curls enjoy them I have lost mine.

26. Anonymous says:

Robyn, I like the low lights, but not the tight curl action. I’d say strike it back a few notches toward what is natural for you (where you started before this makeover), go for some wave action but not gelled out curl, try some new colors, but you had a good thing going before and I’m not sure I’d have trusted you if you didn’t have a hint of that earth girl going for ya.

27. Anonymous says:

Robyn, I’m guessing you didn’t do your research on Carol. She is a fraud. Most of her material on her site is stolen. She takes whatever is out there at the time and puts it in a book, CDs, etc and sells it as her own — like law of attraction, emotional healing, tapping, etc. Then her new energy profiling stuff is The Color Code. The 4 energy types are really the 4 colors — she just made it about “movement and energy” instead of personality. But if you will watch her videos, they talk about personality all the time. It’s the same stuff.

And how can you let some lady that cakes on the crap on her face tell you, a natural beauty that doesn’t need to, how to do make up, how to dress, etc. You looked more natural and more beautiful before. Be careful who you align yourself with. You are real, she is not.

1. Robyn Openshaw says:

Hey hey, Tera–I’m the biggest Color Code fan ever (used to teach it), and while her Type 1 and Type 2 do look similar to the Yellow and Blue, the Type 3 and 4 is very different from the Color Code. And I am not original, really–just getting people back to their roots of eating whole foods. There’s nothing new under the sun. But thanks. 🙂

28. Robyn, You are a natural beauty and fortunately you can dress in any style and any color you want. You’ve been left with a wide variety of comments. I like that you got more ideas from Carol and could combine their ideas with what feels natural to you.

It’s ironic your timing of posting. Just recently my mother “styled” me. Since I lost weight, I needed new clothes and needed someone who knows how to co-ordinate colors. She definately could co-ordinate and pick out combinations I would have no eye for. I enjoyed every minute of it. I haven’t been brave enough to posts bunch of pictures of me just trying on things.

Some people, when lose weight, can easily adjust to new styles, but some like me, it almost feels weird to all of a sudden have new and pretty and flattering clothes. It’s like an emotional adjustment and learning how to handle even flattering compliments, if you know what I mean. I am not use to feeling so fashion savvy. (I am use to plain clothes.) I can see where many people may need a professional service to help get stylized and confidence.

1. Robyn Openshaw says:

Denise, I saw a photo of you on FB, and WOW! You look amazing! Enjoy it!!!

29. Anonymous says:

You know…Robyn….in all kindness….go back to the way you were before.

I will copy here and state that I agree with two previous blog comments, “Awful. You looked much better before, now you’re not a natural lady anymore. You let yourself be influenced by opinions of others. Shame.” and “Robyn I liked your original look better….”

I agree. I agree. I cannot get used to the Carol Tuttle look on you….It is NOT a MATCH.

Why would you give Carol Tuttle that kind of power?

1. Robyn Openshaw says:

Hey Mel, I am the way I was before. Sometimes I did my hair curly before too. And I still do it straight 80% of the time. Thanks for the weigh-in, though. It’s been interesting!

30. Anonymous says:

So Robyn…..it’s time to REALLY acknowledge that YOU ARE A HOTTIE…. the makeover was REALLY good….. as much as I liked you before…the purplish color is great on you & your eyes & lips captivate attention in a positive way…..& “the whole package” is wonderful. I always commend you & tell anyone I can about you & green smoothies & your true honest passion for wholesome foods & living. MORE POWER TO YOU!.. You’re great… I compliment you on being courageous enough to undergo the makeover, as scary as it was BEFORE you did it. I hope you’re pleased with the change….to reveal more of you in a MORE flattering way…. Way to go Robyn ! ! ! A toast to GREENSMOOTHIEHOTTIE LOL…. take care, as always, wishing all the greatest of success & happiness & prosperity & health & peace to you.

Rick…… Sorry I didn’t comment earlier, but haven’t been on internet in MONTHS & finally checked in again…