Quick Breakfast Fix, Even in a Hotel Room! One-Minute Microwave Flax Muffin
Peggy Richter in Pittsburgh, PA, told me that she takes a quick homemade mix and makes herself a microwave flax muffin for one, with all whole, high-nutrition foods, in her hotel room!
While it’s not ideal to use a microwave, this recipe is still a far cry better than the hotel’s continental breakfast! And it’s vegan, gluten-free, wheat-free, dairy-free, and egg-free.
Give Peggy’s recipe a try!
60-SECOND FLAX MUFFIN IN A MUG
Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, egg-free
Great for hotel room nutrition when a microwave is all you have!
- 2 rounded tbsp GSG Sprouted Flax or TriOmega
- 1 tbsp buckwheat flour (buckwheat is not wheat and contains no gluten)
- 1 tbsp coconut crystals (raw, organic, unrefined)
- 1 rounded tbsp coconut milk powder
- 1 1/2 tsp egg replacer
- 1/2 tsp baking powder (gluten and aluminum free)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp water, filtered and room temperature or slightly warmed
- optional: add 1 tbsp finely chopped nuts of your choice
- Measure all dry ingredients into a microwave safe 8-12 oz. mug. Add water and mix thoroughly with a fork.
- Let sit 30 seconds, then bake in microwave for 60 seconds on high. When removing from microwave, use mug handle, as it will be hot!
- Let cool 30 seconds, then use heel of hand to tap sides of mug to loosen muffin. Pop out onto plate. Let steam escape a minute before slicing. Enjoy your fresh baked muffin!
Note: for easy travel, put all dry ingredients for each muffin into a ziploc baggie. Then at the hotel, dump the bag into a mug. Most hotel rooms provide them, but you can also borrow one from a hotel restaurant or even travel with a ceramic mug. Just add the water and bake!
Robyn Openshaw, MSW, is the bestselling author of The Green Smoothies Diet, 12 Steps to Whole Foods, and 2017’s #1 Amazon Bestseller and USA Today Bestseller, Vibe. Learn more about how to make the journey painless, from the nutrient-scarce Standard American Diet, to a whole-foods diet, in her free video masterclass 12 Steps to Whole Foods.