Is EMF Making You Sick?
If you’d like more energy, and you wonder about the effect of cell phones on your family…this post is for you.
Electromagnetic pollution (EMF) is now proven to cause mutation of cells and cancer. Many exposed to radiation from our electronics report difficulties in focus and completing tasks, headaches, loss of energy, and feeling unwell.
But few know about this pollution, because it’s so new (only 20 years of massively increasing EMF pollution).
But nearly 8,000 studies have now been published on how EMF, or electromagnetic frequencies, are causing health problems.
People in the Western world are carrying more devices than imaginable even 10 years ago, and the increase in EMF is happening far faster than safety studies can keep up with.
Dirty electricity can cause cancer and diabetes, and the World Health Organization, the FCC, and the FDA have also issued warnings and classified EMF as a carcinogen.
Recently I spoke to several people whose health was destroyed, until they employed the protective measures I’ll discuss in this blog post.
Dr. Libby Darnell, in Chicago, talked about her high exposure to a diagnostic machine she began using up to 12 hours a day in her clinical practice, as well as her cell phone and lightbulbs in her home emitting “dirty electricity.”
She felt so unwell, she told her husband, also a doctor, “I wouldn’t be surprised if I start hearing voices soon.”
Addressing these issues turned her health around, and Dr. Darnell is now the mother of a young son, and was a guest on my podcast (episodes 25, 26, and 27, all about protecting yourself from EMF).
Dr. Robyn Benson runs a clinic in Santa Fe, NM, and had to clear her home of EMF pollution. She loses steam when traveling, because she’s so sensitive to chaotic frequencies in scanners, airplanes, and devices everywhere in crowded environments.
(Later in this post, I share three tips to mitigate the radiation exposure from air travel.)
Here on this post, I’ve shared a short video about what EMF is, and why spending a short time and a bit of money addressing it in your home and work environments might be the “small hinge that swings a big door,” in your health.
It was, for Dr. Libby Darnell, and also Dr. Robyn Benson!
Are you drinking your quart of green smoothie every day, and working out religiously? These are HIGH EFFORT, HIGH IMPACT habits.
What if there are LOW EFFORT, HIGH IMPACT habits?
Knowing what’s in this post may be key to improving life—and even saving it, for sensitive individuals—in an increasingly chaotic and toxic world. You might find that employing these tips literally “recharge your battery!”
Trying to sift through all the info and recommendations on the Internet can be totally overwhelming on this topic! But, ignorance is not bliss—and arming yourself with a basic knowledge could improve your health dramatically.
It’s absolutely critical to address EMF if you have children in your home, because they have very sensitive, developing brains.
So, we’ve prepared an EMF Action Plan for you. We’re sharing our favorite devices, and where to get them most inexpensively, so you can measure the EMF in your home, and then stop it from impacting your family’s health, mood, and focus.
Grab your free EMF Action Plan, and check off all the “Easy, Free, or Really Inexpensive” items in one day!
The rest of this blog post is about devices, Wi-Fi, lightbulbs, grounding and “earthing,” outlets, meters, filters, traveling, kids’ brains, crystals, blue light, everything you need to know about protecting you and the people you care about!
(Your EMF Action Plan has all of this information. We will give it to you via email to keep and file and link you to a web page where it lives, but here’s where we explain in a bit more detail.)
1. My #1 most important resource is to get 5 packs of xZubi (currently 40% off!) and put one on the back of every cell phone and device in the home!
2. Unplug things you aren’t using. Not everyone agrees this is important, but some evidence suggests outlets “leak” energies and even more so if a charger or something else is plugged in.
3. Lightbulbs (CFL’s, the swirly lightbulbs that contain mercury) put out lots of EMF and emit 70% mercury into the environment within first 3 days after installing. Replace them with Incandescent bulbs (around $15 for an 8-pack) instead. LED’s are the second best (and about $20 for an 8-pack) option, but test them with your EMF meter, because some brands are better than others.
4. If you can’t have your cell phone off, put it 8 feet away from you. Don’t ever charge it near you.
5. Blue light impacts the pineal gland and affects melatonin, which creates balanced sleep cycles. Your body thinks it’s still daytime if you are exposing yourself to blue light. So shut off your TV after dark, or use Gunnar brand or similar glasses if you’re working on your computer in the evening hours (our pick is about $18 on amazon).
Other options: Go to Settings in your phone and use Night Shade, which filters blue light. Or, try f.lux (it’s a free download) for your computer and your mobile devices–it makes the color of your computer’s display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.
6. Ground yourself often by standing barefoot or lying down on Earth (grass or dirt). It discharges EMF clutter out of your body, and you pick up important electrons that mop up free radicals. This helps you be restored to your optimal vibrational frequency.
7. Limit the metal on your body because it acts a conductor of EMF. Underwire in bras can have an antennae effect on your body’s electromagnetic fields, and metal jewelry is the same. I wear metal jewelry only when I go out on weekends or am on camera, and I always wear my QLink.
8. Get an inexpensive timer (around $10) for your Wi-Fi modem, so it turns off at night. Wi-Fi is constantly casting a signal, and is very strong.
A Bit More Effort and Money:
1. A great EMF Meter to test emissions of your light fixtures, outlets, electric company SMART meter, and appliances (This one tests outlets specifically, while this trifield option can be used to test other parts of your home).
Tip: When you test your home for dirty electricity with an EMF meter, you want all areas to be under 50 units. Test lightbulbs, outlets, appliances, meters, and devices. (You can use a portable radio as a makeshift EMF meter: when it buzzes, it is picking up EMF.)
2. Invest in some filters ($30 each, or less for packs) to significantly reduce the amount of “dirty electricity” leaking in your home or work. The average home needs about 20. This is the most direct, effective, and practical way to clean up this particular type of electropollution. (We like this company’s discounted packs for specific home sizes).
3. Dimmer switches have a lot of dirty electricity when they are set on low. The excess comes out into the environment. Avoid dimmer switches or keep them on high.
4. Find out if you have a SMART Meter installed by the power company, and if so, get a guard. This one gets the best reviews on Amazon and is priced reasonably at about $130. These typically slip right over the meter itself, and help block the radiation emitted by the unit.
In addition, it is often necessary to shield the interior wall behind the SMART meter with shielding paint, fabric, or another material.
Tip: It is important to use a meter to measure radiation levels before and after installing SMART meter guards and other shielding materials. This will help ensure that you’ve installed the materials correctly, that they are working, and that there are no unintended consequences.
If you have an analog meter, you don’t have a problem. You may be able to get your electric company to come take out your SMART Meter, by telling them you have health problems from it. Ten years ago, this was not the case, and electric companies denied the health consequences. However, with more people complaining of vertigo, dizziness, low energy, and even cancer, electrical companies are becoming more responsive to requests to change the meter, and it’s worth a try.
I called my electrical company and they promptly agreed to install an analog meter. (They wouldn’t call it a “SMART meter, but called it a “digital automated meter reader,” which is the same thing.) Unfortunately, they charged $283 for it and now bill me $22/month because they have to come visit to read the meter.
5. Wi-Fi disorganizes photons in your body so your cells aren’t communicating properly. Short exposure may be necessary, but constant exposure puts you at high risk. So put a timer on your Wi-Fi modem, keep it turned off on kids’ phones, and increase your data plan so you rarely need it.
Fun fact: Bees will leave a hive if you bring Wi-Fi near it!
Data is better than Wi-Fi on your phone because it pings every 5 minutes, whereas Wi-Fi searching for signal is constant. Get a bigger data plan, worth the money to avoid Wi-Fi. But still, have it off when not using it. Put your phone in airplane mode at night, and/or charge it out of your bedroom. Nighttime should be a chance to have a full detox from EMF during all your sleeping hours.
6. Wear leather soled shoes when possible. We like “Earth Runners.” Earth Runners are grounded minimalist sandals inspired by the Tarahumara Indians of Northwestern Mexico. These types of shoe soles “ground” you because it helps EMF to pass through body into ground. Rubber blocks electrical grounding.
7. Wear a crystal Q-link. They have an amazing effect in restoring your natural vibrational frequency. With the Q-link, wear it as close to your heart as possible, around your neck. My kids and I wear them, and they look cool, so even a teen boy will wear it.
8. Get grounding pads or sheets for your bed, which helps put your chaotic frequencies into the ground, where they belong.
9. Take GreenSmoothieGirl Ultimate Minerals every morning at night (to mop up free radicals and protect against cell damage, as radiation-protecting iodine and all minerals are represented).
EMF’s are much more harmful to children than adults! So be sure to test with your meter in children’s rooms and where they spend time, put a xZubi on their devices, turn Wi-Fi off (only airplane mode), put filters on any emitting outlets, and replace CMF bulbs with incandescent.
Never text in a parked car. You’ve become an antenna. And using Wi-Fi in your car makes you an antenna in a microwave! Worse yet, wearing metal jewelry, texting in a parked car or using Wi-Fi in a parked car.
If you are already dealing with a health issue–heavy metal toxic overload, or viral infection, or recovering from cancer, for instance–EMF overexposure can intensify and amplify other illnesses because the immune system is weakened.
Thank you to Dr. Libby Darnell who helped me with this research, after recovering her health that had been devastated by EMF. Check out her wonderful four-part blog series on EMF here!
Tip 1: You are exposed to more radiation while you fly in the daytime, less when you fly at night. Every cell needs iodine. Iodine protects from EMF’s really well, and antioxidants in general are great for that.
So take GreenSmoothieGirl Ultimate Minerals when you travel, a double dose morning and night. It is simply concentrated fulvic and humic acids from the Earth, a full spectrum of all 90 minerals and trace minerals (including iodine) from ancient plant deposits. We don’t take synthetic isolates or minerals, or supplements made from rocks and chalk that the body doesn’t metabolize well.
Tip 2: Opt out of the scanners at the airport. TSA does not want a baby going anywhere near the scanner. So why do they tell you that you are safe? They said the X-Ray machines were safe, and they weren’t. For 10 years now, TSA has told us these new ones are safe, but let’s not be guinea pigs.
New published research shows that the radioactive output of the TSA scanners is significant. And it’s the cumulative effect that is the problem. So, if you travel a lot, opt out of the scanner, and they’ll give you a quick patdown instead.
Tip 3: When you’re flying, take your shoes off in your seat, if you have rubber soled shoes. Then you will discharge EMF onto the floor. After you travel, when you get to your hotel, walk on the grass or dirt barefoot for 5 minutes and now you’re good to go–you’ve discharged!
The Bio Initiative Report, with 1,800 published studies, can be found at bioinitiative.org (you can download a 1,557 page report) of Naval Academy research directed by Dr. Zory R. Glaser, PhD (former advisor to US FDA), completed in 1971.
More recently, Dr. Magda Havas has collected nearly 8,000 published studies on the negative effects of EMF on humans and animals.
Dr. Libby Darnell was instrumental in us building this page and resource, after recovering her own health after heavy EMF exposure. Her four-part blog series can be found here.
Posted in: EMF