25 Ways Sugar Can Ruin Your Health
Dr. Nancy Appleton wrote a book in 2004 called “Lick the Sugar Habit,” with the ways that medical journals and other scientific publications have documented that sugar wrecks your health. She gives 78 ways, with an impressive references list. But I’ll share 25 with you here, in case you’re looking for some good reasons to stop eating high-fructose corn syrup and refined sugars! So often people wonder why they’re experiencing health problems and don’t connect it to what they’re eating.
- Sugar can suppress the immune system.
- Sugar can upset the body’s mineral balance.
- Sugar can cause hyperactivity, anxiety, concentration problems, and crankiness in children.
- Sugar can cause drowsiness and decreased activity in children.
- Sugar weakens the body’s defense against bacterial infections.
- Sugar damages the kidneys.
- Sugar increases harmful cholesterol and decreases good cholesterol.
- Sugar can cause copper, chromium, calcium, and magnesium deficiencies.
- Sugar can lead to cancer of the breast, ovaries, prostate, and rectum.
- Sugar can cause colon cancer, with especially high risk for women.
- Sugar can weaken eyesight.
- Sugar can cause hypoglycemia.
- Sugar can produce an acidic stomach.
- Sugar can increase risk of coronary heart disease.
- Sugar can lead to alcoholism.
- Sugar can cause fluid retention.
- Sugar can cause headaches, including migraines.
- Sugar increases the risk of Alzheimer Disease.
- Sugar stresses the pancreas, causing damage.
- Sugar increases the amount of fat in the liver.
- Sugar can cause kidney stones.
- Sugar makes multiple sclerosis symptoms worse.
- Sugar can contribute to diabetes.
- Sugar can cause cataracts.
Now you’ve got some great reasons to stop eating refined sugars and stick to whole foods! Whole plant foods taste so much better when you stop eating sugar, too!