Two Cake Recipe Contributions from a Reader
These recipes were submitted by RuLea Taggart when I blogged about my kids’ birthday cake last August. (I have made healthier ingredient substitutions for these two recipes. Note that I have not tested the recipes, and any comments are welcome!)
If you don’t have Original Crystal Himalayan Salt, read my report on it here with a link to get some.
Hot Fudge “Burn the Fat” Pudding Cake
- 1 cup organic whole-wheat flour, hard white, ground fine
- 3/4 cup Sucanat
- 3 tbsp organic cocoa
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp Original Himalayan Crystal Salt
- ½ cup filtered water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup organic cocoa
- 1 cup Sucanat
- 1 3/4 cup filtered hot water
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Mix cake ingredients together in a high-power blender or using a hand mixer.
- Pour batter into 9″ square or oblong glass or non-teflon baking pan. (Double recipe for 9×13 cake pan.)
- Combine cocoa, Sucanat, and hot water for topping. Pour over batter. Sprinkle nuts over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Serve warm or cool.
RuLea says she cuts the sugar down and still finds it plenty sweet. You can also substitute agave & use less liquid. It might seem very runny, but the cake bakes up & pudding settles on bottom. YUM.
Yummy All-You-Can-Eat Cake with Variations
- 3 cups finely ground whole-wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 cups organic sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp Original Himalayan Crystal Salt
- spices to taste (cinnamon, allspice, clove)
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 tbsp raw apple cider vinegar
- your choice of apples, nuts, carrots, raisins, zucchini, dates, etc.
- Combine flour, baking soda, sugar, vanilla, salt, and spices, then blend water and apple cider vinegar into the dry ingredients.
- Add remaining ingredients of your choice. Mix together for 1 minute in a blender or 2 minutes by hand.
- Bake in a 9×13 pan at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
Robyn Openshaw, MSW, is the bestselling author of The Green Smoothies Diet, 12 Steps to Whole Foods, and 2017’s #1 Amazon Bestseller and USA Today Bestseller, Vibe. Learn more about how to make the journey painless, from the nutrient-scarce Standard American Diet, to a whole-foods diet, in her free video masterclass 12 Steps to Whole Foods.