Thai Sweet Potato Soup with Raw Honey to Fight Allergies
Summer is over, and fall is coming! Do you get hay fever? I don’t, but I used to. Raw local honey was how I got rid of allergies, as the local pollens act as a homeopathic against pollen allergens. This recipe is a delicious, healthy way to get your raw honey in.
Don’t wait till it gets cold–this soup is amazing in warm weather, too! I had some yesterday, with my green smoothie, even though it was 95 degrees outside and I was wearing shorts and a tank top. It was pure comfort food on a day when everything was going haywire. I’m not even a sweet potato fan or a soup fan, and I LOVE this recipe. Enjoy!
Thai Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- ½ inch fresh ginger, minced (peeled)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 6 cups vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes with juice (no salt added)
- 2/3 cup Adams or other natural peanut butter (no rapeseed oil or sugar)
- 2 tsp raw honey
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add onions, bell pepper, and carrots and cook for several minutes until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
- Add spices, garlic, and ginger, for 30 seconds more.
- Stir in sweet potato, broth, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Puree the soup either with a hand-held blender or by pouring it into a blender in two batches. If you use the blender method, be sure to lift one corner of the lid or remove the vent and blend at a very low speed to avoid a vacuum-sealed explosion with very hot liquids.
- When the soup is cooled down to a warm temperature, add peanut butter and honey. Stir well. Serve warm.
Read next: The Benefits of Raw Honey
Robyn Openshaw, MSW, is the bestselling author of The Green Smoothies Diet, 12 Steps to Whole Foods, and 2017’s #1 Amazon Bestseller and USA Today Bestseller, Vibe. Learn more about how to make the journey painless, from the nutrient-scarce Standard American Diet, to a whole-foods diet, in her free video masterclass 12 Steps to Whole Foods.
Posted in: Recipes