Gluten Free Live Granola & Breakfast
Jason, a 12 Steps to Whole Foods reader, shared the following recipes with us. They’re mostly raw, gluten free, and full of sprouted nutrition. He writes:
When I first got the recipes for the 12 steps, I was a little disappointed that the Live Granola contained oatmeal (my wife is gluten sensitive). I know many on this forum avoid gluten, so I thought I’d post the granola recipe we developed, as well as our favorite breakfast. Hope you enjoy them as much as we do! ~Jason (jayroo)
Sprouted Buckwheat Granola (gluten free)
This was inspired by a granola we found at the Ecopolitan, a raw restaurant in Minneapolis, MN. We go through a batch every week.
- 4 c buckwheat groats, rinsed, soaked overnight, rinsed well (or soaked 15 minutes and sprouted 24 hours)
- 2 c raw seeds (e.g. sunflower & pumpkin), soaked overnight, rinsed
- 2-3 c raw nuts (e.g. almonds & pecans), soaked overnight, rinsed
- 3 T cinnamon
- 1/3 c raw honey, softened over medium-low heat
- Optional: 1 T virgin coconut oil
- 2 c dried fruit (e.g. raisins and goji berries)
- Optional: briefly pulse the larger nuts in a food processor (I leave them whole)
- In a large bowl, mix buckwheat, seeds, nuts, cinnamon, honey and coconut oil.
- Spread on dehydrator trays with mesh, teflex, or fruit leather sheets. Dehydrate at your preferred temp for 6-8 hours, mix, continue dehydrating until crunchy. The amount listed fills 4 trays in my Nesco dehydrator.
- Mix in dry fruit and store in a sealed container at room temp or in the fridge.
- Yields 10-12 cups
Sprouted Buckwheat Cereal (gluten free)
This was the first gourmet raw meal that my wife actually enjoyed and asked for again. She once told me I could make it for her every day.
- 1 cup buckwheat groats, rinsed, soaked overnight, rinsed well (or soaked 15 minutes and sprouted 24 hours)
- 1 banana, chopped
- 1 t cinnamon
- dash of maple syrup
- optional: raw pecans or almonds, soaked overnight, rinsed, chopped
Process buckwheat, banana, cinnamon, and maple syrup in a food processor until creamy. Top with nuts. Serves 2.
Posted in: 12 Steps To Whole Food, Green Smoothies, Recipes
5 thoughts on “Gluten Free Live Granola & Breakfast”Leave a Comment
Thank you for posting! I will try these. =)
thank you for this–we are gluten free and to buy the non-contaminated oats is expensive–though we’re still trying to get used to the buckwheat taste–we’ll be excited to try these–we are desperate for breakfast ideas! THANKS
Thank you, Jason!
I hope to have a gluten-free recipe collection on the site within a few months.
Robyn, could you write about the differences between juicing and blending ?
There are two schools of thought about the advantages and disadvantages of one or the other.
What are buckwheat groats and where do I get them and how do I sprout them?