Italian Bean Soup | GreenSmoothieGirl
Italian Bean Soup
A harmonious blend of beans, kale, squash, and zucchini for a wonderfully filling Italian dish
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 yellow summer squash, diced
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 2 14oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 3 cups chopped kale, ribs removed
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp raw honey
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
Heat 2 Tbsp. of olive oil in a 6 quart or larger pot over medium-high heat.
Add the onions, carrots, celery, zucchini, and squash. Sauté for 4 minutes.
Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, thyme and rosemary. Cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Stir in the stock, beans, and tomatoes. Bring the contents to a boil, then turn the heat down to low and add the chopped kale. Cover the pot and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove ⅓ of the soup to a blender and blend until smooth (be very careful, as the soup is very hot). Once blended add back to the pot.
Add the salt, pepper, honey, and vinegar. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Enjoy hot.