Chocolate Beet Cake and Frosting | GreenSmoothieGirl
This Chocolate Beet Cake with Frosting is great for birthdays and parties; my kids beg for this decadent but nutritious dessert. My kids have birthdays all in the same month (go Leos!) and we once celebrated by reserving the entire roller skating rink. The kids all skated around with their individual friend groups they invited, and one by one I would pull the groups from the floor and onto that disco carpet to cut their very own chocolate beet birthday cake. They loved it, their friends loved it, and I loved feeling great about the dessert I was feeding them. I also just loved making them for my kids and decorating them individually (occasionally taking a few fingerfuls of the frosting to sample!)
I also have other fabulous uses for beets in the Jump-Start recipe collection and 12 Steps to Whole Foods chapters.
Chocolate Beet Cake with Frosting
My kids beg for this decadent but nutritious dessert for birthdays and other celebrations, sweet and chocolaty with delicious frosting.
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Sucanant (unrefined cane sugar)
- 3/4 cup coconut oil can substitute half with applesauce if desired
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups steamed beets peeled and chopped, approx. 2 medium-large beets
- 4 tbsp. raw cacao or non-alkalized baking cocoa
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour (soft white wheat, ground fine)
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa or raw powdered chocolate
- 1/2 cup softened butter or soft but not liquid coconut cream concentrate
- 1/2 cup powdered Sucanant
Puree beets in BlendTec
Add eggs, sugar, oil, vanilla, blend.
Add chocolate and rest of ingredients, blend
Bake in 9"x13" oiled pan at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
Cream all ingredients together.
[Related Recipe: Coconut Milk Ice Cream]
[Related Post: Birthday Season]