Thai Sweet Potato Soup | GreenSmoothieGirl
Thai Sweet Potato Soup
Don’t wait till it gets cold–this soup is amazing in any weather and is a delicious, healthy way to get your raw honey in.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 medium chopped red bell pepper
- 2 large chopped carrots
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 clove chopped garlic
- 1/2 inch fresh minced ginger, peeled
- 1 large cubed sweet potato, peeled
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 tsp raw honey
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add onions, bell pepper, carrots, and cook (stirring constantly) until vegetables are tender, for several minutes.
Add spices and garlic and ginger, for 30 seconds more. Stir in sweet potato, broth, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Puree the soup with a hand-held blender, or pouring it into a Blendtec or Vitamix in two batches. (Be careful to lift one corner of the lid, or remove the vent, and blend on a very low-speed, to avoid a vacuum-sealed explosion with very hot liquids)
Add peanut butter and honey when the soup cools to warm (to not destroy the properties of raw honey), and stir well. Serve warm.