Thai Sweet Potato Soup with Raw Honey | GreenSmoothieGirl
Thai Sweet Potato Soup with Raw Honey
This recipe is a delicious, healthy way to get your raw honey in. Don’t wait till it gets cold–it's amazing in warm weather, too!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 inch french ginger peeled and minced
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 6 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes with juice no salt added
- 2/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 2 tsp raw honey
Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add onions, bell pepper, and carrots and cook for several minutes until vegetables are tender, stirring frequently.
Add spices, garlic, and ginger, for 30 seconds more.
Stir in sweet potato, broth, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Puree the soup either with a hand-held blender or by pouring it into a blender in two batches. If you use the blender method, be sure to lift one corner of the lid or remove the vent and blend at a very low speed to avoid a vacuum-sealed explosion with very hot liquids.
When the soup is cooled down to a warm temperature, add peanut butter and honey. Stir well. Serve warm.