Black Bean Casserole | GreenSmoothieGirl
Black Bean Casserole
- 1 medium white or yellow onion chopped
- 2 15-oz. cans diced stewed tomatoes
- 1 C salsa
- 2 15-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- whole-wheat tortillas
- optional: shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. Add a bit of extra virgin olive oil to a large frying pan and sauté the onions until translucent. Add the tomatoes and salsa and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low and continue to cook until mixture begins to thicken. Add beans and heat through.
- Spread ⅓ of mixture into bottom of a 9"x13" baking dish. Cover with a layer of tortillas (cut into strips to cover space; does not need to be perfect). Cover with another ⅓ of bean mixture, carefully spreading to the edge of the tortillas. Sprinkle with a layer of cheese and then repeat the pattern (tortillas, bean mixture, cheese) one more time.
- Bake 20-25 min. or until well heated. Top with lettuce, fresh tomatoes, avocado, olives, salsa, sour cream, etc.
NOTE: You can also divide this recipe into two 8"x8" pans. This dish is also easily frozen for later use.
Categories: Main Dishes