Q: Dear GreenSmoothieGirl, I work crazy hours and am rarely home to make myself good food. Can you recommend anything to make and eat quickly that is really healthy?
A: Yes. Of course I recommend green smoothies, because they are quick to make, and you can put them in the fridge for up to two days (shake it up well before drinking). A friend of mine loves Living Fuel, which is a great product with live, dehydrated foods for excellent vitamin/mineral and especially enzyme content. However, it’s about $6.75/serving! Some time ago, I looked for an alternative affordable by more people and found The Ultimate Meal, which you can order for the best price on Amazon, and the cost is less than $2.00 per serving. I regularly use this product myself.
Things I love about The Ultimate Meal:
- It takes 60 seconds to make in the blender.
- It’s primarily made up of sprouted quinoa and millet, then brown rice and yellow pea protein, then flax seed, spirulina, and broccoli. Great ingredients, freeze-dried so enzymes are mostly intact.
- It contains every nutrient necessary for optimal health and eliminates the need for vitamin supplements.
- It has 16 grams of protein, which should make those worried about plant foods not having enough protein quite happy. Also 8 grams of fiber!
- With half an apple, and a banana, it blends to be a crazy green color, but it tastes pretty good.
- The shake, with apple and banana, has 350 calories and keeps you satisfied until the next meal.
- This can be a meal replacement shake twice a day. This would be SO much better for dieters than SlimFast and all the other chemical-additives, corn-syrup and cheap-ingredients-added shakes and soy diet products on the market.
- Most of the ingredients are organic, and it has 4 grams of good fatty acids, no soy or whey, no genetically modified foods, no yeast, salt, or sugars (just stevia), no animal products.
- It lasts 3 years on the shelf (2 months after opening the can, so freeze some if you won’t use the whole can in that time). It’s great for food storage.