Chocolate Beet Cake
This cake is great for birthdays and parties. My kids beg for this decadent but nutritious dessert. I also have other fabulous uses for beets in the Jump-Start recipe collection and 12 Steps to Whole Foods chapters.
- 3 eggs (organic, range fed)
- 1 ½ cups Sucanat (unrefined cane sugar)
- ¾ cup coconut oil (can substitute applesauce for half of this, if desired)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups steamed beets (about 2 medium-large beets, peeled and chopped)
- 4 Tbsp. raw cacao (best) or nonalkalized baking cocoa
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour (soft white wheat, ground fine)
- 1 ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
Puree beets in BlendTec, then add eggs, sugar, oil, and vanilla. Add chocolate and other ingredients. Bake in 9″x13″ oiled pan at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa (even better, raw powdered chocolate)
- ½ cup butter, softened (or coconut cream concentrate, if it is soft but not turned to liquid–please note that you can’t put frosting made with coconut oil/cream on a refrigerated cake or it will become hard)
- ½ cup powdered Sucanat (if you have only regular Sucanat, blend it in your BlendTec until very fine, or your frosting will be grainy)